Friday, August 9, 2013

five for friday

Since I successfully did my first "link-up" with Throwback Thursday yesterday, I decided to try another one today- it's "Five for Friday", linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching.


I love how this linky is simple:  write about five things you did today or this week and link up your post to hers.  A fun way to quickly read about the great things that other bloggers are up to at this crazy time of year!  :)

Here's what I've been up to this week:

Number One:

Target Dollar Spot Pocket Chart


When I saw these little pocket charts at my Favorite Store in the World the other day, I thought "Hmm..I wonder if those would be good for my Reading Street Amazing Word cards?"
(Yes, I do realize that I have extremely riveting inner dialogue....you're jealous, right?)

The answer:  PERFECT. 
Eight slots and the maximum each week has is....you guessed it, eight.
And they fit so well it's almost like Target and Reading Street teamed up to make a teacher's life easier.  And cuter.  And more organized.  You get the idea.

 

Number Two:

New Jobs Display


Okay, so this is just a computer shot of the sign I designed to top my display.
The reason I'm not including any other pics is because I have a blog post in the works to explain and show the process I went through in making it.
I also like to make people wait for things.
Must be the teacher in me.


Number Three:

Cute Covered Bookshelves

This is an "After vs. Before" shot of the metal bookshelves in my classroom.
Note the lovely rust spots on the bottom one.
Gross.


With the extra contact paper I had from my other projects like these, those rusty shelves are now adorably bright and stylish.



And with the books now organized and back on the shelves, I'm so excited to share it with my new group of students in a few weeks!


Number Four:

Supply Labels


I used to have all of my shared class supplies in different areas of the room, in baskets and tubs and cans.  For a couple different reasons, I needed to change my organization of these items this year and decided on this seven-drawer cart.  I really wanted black (to match the other two rolling carts I have), but I went for function vs. fashion in this case. 

UPDATE:  You can get these labels, and many more like it, at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.

Since I was changing some patterns and colors in my room already, I decided to create my own labels for these drawers.  After laminating and cutting out the labels, I attached them to the drawers with my favorite-- clear contact paper.
When I say favorite, I am being sarcastic.....I've had some issues with it in the past.
Not sticking right.  Not being able to get the backing off.  Curling up or getting stuck on things that I don't want it getting stuck on.  Ruining my hard work labeling something.  You get the point.

However, on this day....I won the battle.



I'm a tad bit obsessed with labeling things.
Please join my support group.
(oh right....I don't have one)

 

Number Five:

Day of Laziness....or Relaxation


After all of the work I put into my classroom this week, I decided to "take a personal day".
I'm still in my pajamas (and it's 5:00 PM).
I've either watched TV, gone on the computer, or cooked/ate all day.
Oh, and I did a little cutting out of laminated numbers, too....but it was while watching America's Next Top Model, so I really don't count that as work.  ;)

It's been a lovely day.
I needed it.

If you're a blogger, you should think about joining this "Five for Friday" linky....today or another Friday.  It's a fun way to write about the little things you want to share, all in one place! 

6 comments:

Magic Mistakes and Mayhem said...

Hi Michelle! I've just found your blog through the linky and started following along :) I LOVE your personal day- there is nothing better than a day in PJs! Your bookshelf renovation looks amazing as well!

x Serena x
Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

Unknown said...

Found you through Five for Friday linky & I'm your newest follower.
I'm loving the bookcase shelves!! Thanks for sharing!
~ Kristin
thisoldartroom.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks, Serena! I don't know if I'll have a chance to have another day like that, so I took full advantage of it while I could! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kristin! I'm so happy with how they turned out, too. Such a difference and SO easy to do! :)

Unknown said...

I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Should you wish to accept please check out my blog post for the directions!
http://thisoldartroom.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award.html
Thanks for sharing all your ideas on your blog!
~ Kristin

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Kristin! I'm going to your blog right now to learn more about it! :)

Post a Comment